1001 Ikea Drive
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
CONSTRUCTION COMPLETION DATE:
DiGeronimo PC is a key member of the design and construction team for RexPlex Community Sports Complex – a new type sports and recreation mega-facility, contributing to Elizabeth NJ’s redevelopment. “RexPlex has a dynamic location in a high-traffic retail district. RexPlex is visible from the NJ Turnpike and from planes using Newark Airport runway. The City of Elizabeth was able to fill a hole in its redevelopment district.” says Elizabeth Mayor Chris Bollwage.
DiGeronimo renovated the vacant 185,000 sq. ft. retail building to support this large-scale recreation facility. RexPlex has received accolades from the surrounding community and municipal officials. “The exciting part is that in an urban community like Elizabeth, there is often a lack of recreational opportunities. This building will now offer recreational opportunities for all ages. It will give kids something to do as well as create jobs for them.” Noted Elizabeth’s Mayor.
The facility includes:
- Four indoor soccer fields covered with artificial turf.
- Two hard wood NBA-style basketball courts.
- Two roller hockey rinks
- 8,000 sq. ft. extreme skate park with a 12 x 40 ft. vertical ramp.
- Rock climbing wall.
- High and low ropes course.
- Nine-hole mini-golf course and virtual golf machines.
- Four Batting cages.
- Kiddie Play zones.
- Arcade with approximately 50 games.
- Sports pro shop.
- 13,000 sq. ft. multi-use banquet and recreation hall.
- Meeting rooms and party suites.
DiGeronimo PC was responsible for planning board review, code review, design of all mechanical, electrical and structural improvements, and construction management. DiGeronimo PC also designed the new state of the art outdoor sports field, extreme skate park area, and new passenger drop-off areas.