Brooklyn Academy of Music
3 Overhill Road
Verona, NJ 07044
Best of 2003 Awards: Restoration Project of the Year, presented by New York Construction News.
DiGeronimo PC provided Architectural Conservator work to Graciano Corporation for anchoring and shoring the brick and terracotta façade. The entire building façade and theatre fly space underwent historic restoration.
Work included extensive repair of corners and parapets, removing materials down to the structural steel frame and rebuilding, replicating discontinued damaged brick, removal and resetting terra cotta band course panels, and replacement of damaged tiles using historically correct reproduction methods. A new glass fiber, reinforced concrete cornice and parapet with balustrade was created to replace originals, which were unstable.
As Architectural Conservator, DiGeronimo provided observation, analysis, monitoring and inspections for the following:
- dismantling, numbering and marking of façade elements scheduled to be removed and re-installed;
- building/rebuilding, restoration and conservation of face brick; stone, and architectural terra cotta wall construction;
- composite patching and pinning of stone;
- replacement of damaged stone units;
- cleaning of face brick, tile, stone, architectural terra cotta and terrazzo;
- metal restoration and cleaning;
- masonry repointing.
DiGeronimo ensured all preservation and restoration work was completed in compliance with Federal, State and local Historic Preservation Standards.